The omnidirectional mobility gear or ODM gear is a type of equipment developed by humans that allows great mobility when facing the Titans in combat. It enables the user to fight in a 3D space as opposed to a 2D one. The equipment itself takes the form of a body harness that encompasses much of the body below the neck.
Is it challenging to use?
Although the equipment can grant a skilled user tremendous mobility, it is a demanding art that requires both strength and skill, both of which must be honed through constant practice.
Some tools involved in the apparatus include:
- Hand grips
- Piston-shot grapple-hooks
- Gas-powered mechanism
- Iron wire propeller with plug-in blades
- Main Housing — The winch resides inside a housing, located on the wearer’s lower back. There are two independent shafts, with spools of steel wire.
- Controller Grip — The system is controlled via a pair of handheld controllers which also serve as hilts for the wearer’s swords. The inner workings of the controllers are a closely guarded secret. The technical department manages and improves this system under strict security. The top trigger fires the anchor with the bottom trigger firing compressed gas. Pulling the lever reels the wire back in, and letting go makes it stop. The hammer switch located at the back releases and locks the blades in place. The switches on the sides adjust the angle of fire for both anchor mechanisms. The control grip is approximately 18cm in height.
- Compressed Gas Cylinder — Two cylinders, one on each sheath, store compressed gas which is used to both fire and retract the grapples.
- Blades — The blades are made from Ultrahard steel, which is both supple and strong, capable of rending Titan flesh. It can only be manufactured in the blast furnaces of factory cities. Soldiers usually carry more blades in boxes built at the sides of their thighs.
- Turbine — Gas from the cylinders is blown directly into the turbine powers the winch to retract the grapple cables. The pressure of the gas is regulated to control how quickly the cables are retracted.
Can we use the ODM gear in real life?
The ODM gear is a system of grappling hooks and cables that allows the user to swing through the air and maneuver quickly and easily. The gear is powered by a gas tank, allowing users to propel themselves forward and upward.
- One of the main problems with the ODM gear is that it would require a tremendous amount of physical strength to use. The user would need to be able to support their weight while swinging through the air, and they would also need to be able to generate enough force to propel themselves forward.
- Another problem with the ODM gear is that it would be perilous to use. If the user made a mistake, they could easily fall to their death. Additionally, the ODM gear would be very vulnerable to enemy fire. If the user’s gas tank was destroyed, they would be unable to move and would be easy targets.
- Despite these challenges, it is possible that ODM gear could be developed in the future, one that resembles Edge of Tomorrow. If we can develop new materials that are stronger and lighter, and if we can develop new, more efficient propulsion systems, then ODM gear may become a reality.
However, even with these advances, it is unlikely that ODM gear would be as effective as it is in Attack on Titan. The ODM gear in the anime can propel the user at speeds of up to 60 miles per hour, and it is also able to withstand a tremendous amount of force. It is unlikely that we will be able to develop ODM gear that is this powerful and safe shortly.
The ODM gear in Attack on Titan is not realistically feasible, at least not with current technology. We might have to stick to cosplay gears for now, but who knows, someone, somewhere on the planet is getting close to figuring out how to work a real one out. If you’re interested in learning more about the science and technology behind anime, subscribe to our newsletter for regular updates!