Attack on Titan grows 10 years old and the story has been nothing short of spectacular and mindblowing. In the past decade, it has provided its readers and viewers with miraculous storytelling which has been cherished throughout its course. While Attack on Titan has always remained unpredictable, this uncertainty of thought and action has given scope for several peculiar instances to arise, making the plot even more enchanting in its nature.
Top 5 times Attack on Titan blew our minds (ranked)
5. Life outside the walls in Marley
One of the top 5 times Attack on Titan blew our minds was during the expedition back to Shiganshina when a simple photograph confirmed that Grisha, Eren’s father, resided in a town before moving to Paradis Island. This opened up the argument that there was indeed life beyond the walls and the possibility of a peaceful civilization residing outside raised a lot of existential questions.
- The modern place outside the walls was Marley, which is a nation that uses Titans as weapons and it was completely revealed in Season 4.
- While many thought that this utopian reality was nothing more than a farce, the harmonious existence was the biggest and the most shocking revelation of all, making the viewer question the entire narrative.
4. Eren’s mother being eaten by a Titan
In the very first episode of Attack on Titan, the Marleyan warriors broke down the walls of the Shiganshina and its gates, leading to a catastrophic attack by Titans. While Eren runs to save his mother, he witnesses her death in front of his own eyes. She was devoured by the Smiling Titan, which is further linked to a bigger plot reveal.
- The Smiling Titan was actually Dina Fritz, who was the former wife of Grisha Yeager. She is a mindless Titan and appears like a male.
- When Eren saw his mother being eaten alive and later discovered that it was indeed his stepmother and his father who rooted off his entire family, his character went through a major shift, and his motivations were anchored.
3. Reiner and Bertholdt’s secret
The revealing of the secret of Reiner and Bertholdt in Attack on Titan left fans questioning their entire idea of the narrative. This took place after the expedition to save Ymir was over.
Reiner and Bertholdt started acting in a very suspicious and unnatural manner and their general behavior was uneasy and distressing. While fans started questioning the nature of this unnatural behavior, a huge truth was dropped in the most casual manner possible.
Atop Wall Rose, Reiner casually confronts Eren that his actual identity is the Armored Titan and that Bertholdt is the Colossal Titan. The delivery of this secret was so nonchalantly plain that it questioned the entire narrative in a shocking instant. Following this event, the story took a turn that defined the future course of the narrative and Eren’s shift as an antagonist, making this one of the top 5 times Attack on Titan blew our minds.
2. The Rumbling by Eren and Ymir
The threat of the Rumbling has the greatest impending doom for mankind. This was further reinforced when Eren got his powers as the Founding Titan, and this apocalyptic event was only a few whiskers away.
- The Rumbling is a necessary evil, according to Eren, to change the world order and restore society. It was meant to reinstate the utopia that Eren was dreaming of.
- Eren and Ymir change the entire discourse of the show by activating the Rumbling, causing mass destruction and irreparable catastrophe.
1. The origin of the Titans
Eren’s father promised him to show the contents of their home’s basement upon his return, but the events which followed to a complete demolition of that promise and his home. Years later, an expedition to Shingashina revealed the secrets of the basement in the form of three books left behind by Grisha.
- These books talked about Ymir’s deal with the Devil of the Earth granting her the power of the Titans, and also how the Titans were created by the people of Marley following the Great Titan War.
- Marley injected people with Titan Spinal Fluid and dumped them into the last of the Eldian territory, Paradis Island.
- This has remained as the biggest plot twist in the show and it really shaped the story of its antagonist – Eren Yeager.
The top 5 times Attack on Titan blew our minds were not moments that were entirely definitive in nature but they were also moments that were definite. These moments have shaped and reshaped the narrative and at times even shattered it, making it an amalgamation of various stories which have been pieced together in due course. This makes Attack on Titan an entirely beautiful piece of storytelling in its 10 years of existence.