One Piece can easily break the records of having the best mysteries which have left fans scratching their heads. ‘What is the One Piece’ is one of them. People say everything is a JoJo reference, the same can be said for One Piece with the way Oda keeps springing up ideas from different places, cultures, countries, and whatnot.
But one place where we might find the truth behind the mystery of One Piece is the Castle in the Sky, Laputa. Studio Ghibhli’s Castle in the Sky must have influenced One Piece in some way, given the similarities between One Piece and Castle in the Sky.
The influence stretches beyond the similarities if we dig a little deeper. This article will do exactly that and dive into what is the One Piece with the Castle in the Sky as the context.
Similarities between One Piece and Castle in the Sky
If you’re familiar with both One Piece and Castle in the Sky, you’re probably no stranger to the similarities between the two. Here’s a revision of all the similarities in case you missed any:
- Laputa is similar to both Skypiea and Egghead.
- Norland and Pazu’s dad have identical stories.
- Big mom and Dolo/Mama
- The people with D in their name and the inhabitants of Laputa
How can we predict the One Piece from Castle in the Sky?
It’s safe to say that One Piece is influenced by Studio Ghibli’s Castle in the Sky at least to some degree. The similarities speak volumes about the turn of events in One Piece and the progression of the story in Castle in the Sky. They follow a similar tempo:
- A destination is revealed, Laputa and the One Piece.
- As we move towards our destination we learn of important reveals relevant to our final goal. For example, the revelation of the people with a D in their name and the inhabitants of Laputa (Muska and Sheeta).
- There are important texts, an ancient history which is more than 500 years old.
Even the end, Oda has already stated that the manga will continue even after we know what the One Piece is. This is exactly what happened in Castle in the Sky. Even after the secrets of Laputa are known we see the characters putting an end to it all.
What is the One Piece?
A definitive answer to this question is still far or maybe close, you can never tell with Eichiro Oda. But with The Castle in the Sky some things become a lot more clear:
- The showdown between Muska and Sheeta-Pazu might be hinting towards some sort of battle at Laugh tale/Raftale.
- The theory about One Piece being a weapon holds true in this case, as the story will continue if One Piece is a weapon. The Strawhats will either need to destroy it or use it to free the world.
- One Piece being an actual treasure is a weak guess but worth a while.
- The significance of Skypiea and Egghead also becomes more profound with the Castle in the Sky in the perspective.
- The people with D in their names also have some connection to Laughtale.
Once again we have got hints and leads but not a definitive answer. The manga is at a very crucial point, which is Egghead. The end of this arc will probably bring us closer to the One Piece than we have ever been. Till then let’s put together the puzzle pieces to figure out the One Piece! Set sail, we’re once again trying to theorize our speculations.