Dragon Ball has been at the pinnacle of its genre for decades, influencing several other Shonen series, but fans have eagerly awaited the announcement of a new anime series. Fans can look forward to many more Dragon Ball adventures with the upcoming anime spin-off, Dragon Ball Daima, which was announced at New York Comic Con 2023.
Dragon Ball Daima is a fresh new animation project created to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Akira Toriyama’s original Dragon Ball manga being published in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. In addition, Dragon Ball Daima will be released next year to commemorate this significant occasion.
The initial announcement of the anime stirred curious conversations among the fans of the franchise. Let’s take a look at what it is going to be about and when it will be released!
Dragon Ball Daima’s official trailer released
The new Dragon Ball Daima anime was announced at the New York Comic Con a few days ago and since then it has garnered attention of the fans from all over the world. The trailer for this new anime has also been recently released.
The trailer featured Goku, Vegeta, and the other characters changing into their younger selves and others of the cast in chibi form. The synopsis given by Toei Animation has also managed to catch the eyes of the viewers, as it states that Dragon Ball Daima is a story that has not been told before.
- The trailer begins with the history of the Dragon Ball franchise which takes all of us on a trip down memory lane, as we witness the growth of the Dragon Ball franchise from a manga to the number of hit anime adaptations based on it.
- Going forward, the year changes to 2024. Fans are transported to a demonic-looking castle, where two unknown enemies wait.
- They are surrounded by events from the series’ past that appear to just cover the events of the Z anime.
Akira Toriyama allegedly has also teased the Dragon Ball fans by releasing a letter of sorts, where he makes some curious comments about Dragon Ball Daima anime’s plot. It’s being said that “due to a conspiracy”, Goku and his friends are de-aged and to make up for his petite size, fans are going to see Goku use his Power Pole to fight instead.
What will be the plot of Dragon Ball Daima anime?
Although there have been no proper updates about what the anime’s plot would be, some key points can be noted from the Dragon Ball Daima’s official trailer.
- It’s unclear where Dragon Ball: Daima fits into the timeline, but based on the teaser, and the”never told before” tease, — the series must be set sometime before the Dragon Ball Z anime.
- The teaser trailer depicts Goku’s journey from childhood to the present day, along with hints of the upcoming anime. The visuals alone were more than sufficient to evoke sentiments of nostalgia among the fans.
Dragon Ball Daima is about a demon who, presumably with the help of the Dragon Balls, converts Goku, Supreme Kai, and the rest of the show’s characters into children. Daima’s purpose is for Goku to journey across the cosmos to reverse the curse.
When will Dragon Ball Daima be released?
Toei Animation is not keeping its fans waiting too long for Dragon Ball Daima. There is no official release date, airing schedule, or episode order for the upcoming Dragon Ball anime yet, but it is expected to be released during the Fall 2024 anime season.
Given that Dragon Ball will celebrate its 40th anniversary this year, it is an especially significant milestone for the franchise. Daima appears to have even been assembled to commemorate 40 years of Dragon Ball.
The teaser trailer for Dragon Ball Daima has featured fantastical visuals and animation. Since Toriyama is closely associated with this project, his investment in the anime and assistance in its execution make it easier to accept its divisive notion. It will be a truly mesmerizing moment to witness the franchise’s 40th anniversary with the release of Dragon Ball Daima in the Fall of 2024. For more anime updates, make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter!