The Mashle anime follows the story of Mash Burnedead, a young man who lives in a world where magic is everything. However, Mash is different from everyone else: he has no magical abilities whatsoever. But what he lacks in magic, he makes up for in muscles. Mash is incredibly strong, and he uses his muscles to fight his way through the challenges of a world where magic is the norm.
It was serialized in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from January 2020 to July 2023, with its chapters collected in 17 tankoubon volumes as of July 2023. An anime television series adaptation produced by A-1 Pictures aired from April to July 2023, which does bring fans to question whether the manga and anime were derived from the famous franchise of Harry Potter and upon a quick glance, it can be easily seen that there are too many similarities that prove it was.
Similarities Between Mashle Anime and Harry Potter
- Setting: Both series are set in worlds where magic is commonplace. Mashle takes place at Easton Magic Academy, while Harry Potter takes place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Both schools are similar in terms of their structure and curriculum, and both feature a variety of magical creatures and locations.
- Characters: The protagonists of both series are young boys who are outsiders in their respective societies. Mash Burnedead is a boy who is born without any magical abilities, while Harry Potter is a half-blood wizard who is raised by his muggle relatives. Both boys are initially shunned by their peers, but they eventually find acceptance and friendship at their schools.
- Magic: Both series feature a variety of magical spells and creatures. However, the way that magic is used in the two series is different. In Harry Potter, magic is often used for subtle and indirect purposes. For example, wizards might use magic to brew potions, cast spells, or fly on broomsticks.
- In Mashle, on the other hand, magic is often used for more direct and physical purposes. For example, Mash might use his muscles to punch through walls or lift heavy objects.
- Sports: Both series feature a magical sport that the main characters participate in. In Harry Potter, it is Quidditch, while in Mashle, it is Duelo.
- House system: Both series have a house system that students are sorted into. In Harry Potter, the houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. In Mashle, the houses are Adler, Lang, and Orca.
- Villains: Both series have a group of villains who are opposed to the main characters. In Harry Potter, the villains are Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. In Mashle, the villains are Innocent Zero, a group of magic users who believe that magic should be used for violence.
- Similar side characters: Both series have a number of side characters that reference the other series. For example, in Mashle, there is a character named Lloyd Cavill who is a clear reference to Draco Malfoy.
This comparison makes us conclude that the anime was based on Harry Potter, intentionally or unintentionally. Any Potterhead would feel the familiarity in their characters when watching the anime. Even though the anime has come to an end now, the fans are eagerly waiting for the new season to premiere soon in 2024.