There is no character Oda can’t write. Do you want mermaids? We got them! Do you want Cyborgs? We got them! We’ve got them all from giants to dwarves. With that said Oda gives his main characters exceptional development arcs.
An example is Robin in the Enies lobby which was set up with Water 7. With the internal conflict she was experiencing and the external conflict at hand, her entire character was split open in front of us. Yet there are some Strawhats who are left to have their character arcs.
We’ve had flashbacks of all the Strawhats but some of them have knots in their journey which we are yet to get an answer for.
Here’s all the Strawhats who are left to have their character arcs
After encountering the giants in Little Garden, Usopp showed an urge to go to Elbaf. Elbaf is the giants’ kingdom. Since then fans have associated Elbaf with the character and are awaiting his arrival at the island.
- If the Strawhats go to Elbaf we’ll get to see Usopp having a character arc of his own which will complete his journey in a way.
- The future is uncertain with the recent developments on Elbaf with the Kid Pirates and Shank’s Pirates. We might see some very important developments toward Ussop’s dream of becoming the great warrior of the sea.
Franky is a cyborg and what is a better island than Egghead to finally have a development arc for the character. We might get a considerable power-up or something similar. Egghead can be Franky’s arc to shine. We can also have meaningful interaction between Franky and Vegapunk if he’s not dead.
Franky also spent his time on Karakuri Island, the birthplace of Dr. Vegapunk, during the time skip. We got some peeks during his time there, but maybe there’s more to it.
Wano was set up in a way that it seemed like we’ll get to finally see Zoro’s flashback – Zoro’s parents, Zoro’s connection to samurai, and Wano. There are some off-screen reveals through SBS but we are yet to see a canonical arc with his entire background.
But Wano didn’t reveal much about Zoro, there were many significant moments for Zoro in Wano but more mysteries were also set up. Zoro is yet to have a proper character arc of his own.
Strawhats with Character arcs
- Brook is a well-developed character but a missing part of his story is back in the Grand Line, Laboon. The union will happen around the end so we might not get to see much but if there’s anything left for Brook, it should happen when he meets Laboon.
- The characters who have completed their character arc are Sanji, whose character arc started in Wholecake Island, and all the gaps in his characters were filled in his recent fight against Queen; Robin and Nami finished their character arcs before the time skip. Considering Chopper’s position in the crew, he’s significant in almost every arc. He has had his fair share of growth in Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, and Wano.
- Jimbei is still new to the crew. We might or might not have a more magnified look at his character as he joined the crew as an already well-developed character.
This is not to say that the characters who have had their character arcs won’t be having any further development of important moments. All the characters are yet to fulfill their dreams and we’ll get to see plenty of them hopefully.