If you ever think of cute tails and ears also coming with the sound of a meow, you’re probably thinking of a cat. But ever wondered what if anime characters draw their inspiration from our beloved four-legged friends – cats!? Well, do have a look at our Top 10 Anime Characters that are based on cats.
Top 10 Anime Characters that are based on Cats
10. Boris Airay (Heart no Kuni no Alice)
Heart no Kuni no Alice follows the story of Alice, who wakes up in a strange world created by Quin Rose. Her goal is to return to her own world, and as she embarks on her adventure, she meets various characters who provide clues about the purpose of her presence in Wonderland.
- Alice then meets a person named Airay, who is kinda inspired by the Cheshire Cat. Just like the original Cheshire Cat, Airay enjoys playing riddles and being mischievous.
- He’s also like a typical cat – relaxed, carefree, and goes after things that bother him.
9. Koneko Toujou (High School DxD)
Koneko is a young girl with silver hair and cat-like features, which include typical cat ears and a tail. She is a member of the Occult Research Club at Kuoh Academy, where the main protagonist of the show, Issei Hyoudou, also attends.
Koneko is usually seen as cold and rarely shows any emotions or feelings, even while speaking. She is also a nekomata and happens to be Kuroka’s younger sister.
8. Schrodinger (Hellsing Ultimate)
Schrodinger was part of the Millennium military unit called Werewolf and answered directly to the Major. He had the rank of Oberscharführer or warrants officer. The Major also seems to emit a sense of affection for Schrodinger, akin to the relationship of a cat owner who could never be angry towards him.
Even though Schrodinger is on the villain’s side, it’s hard not to like him. He’s cute, charming, and playful, exactly what you’d expect from such a likeable character in the series.
7. Ao Nanami (Yozakura Quartet)
Nanami is one of the major characters in the Yozakura Quartet anime series. She’s a satori yōkai and lives in Sakurashinmachi and is also Gin Nanami’s younger sister, who works at the Hiizumi Life Counseling Office.
With short hair, light skin and sharp blue chin-length hair, Nanami is the perfect catgirl. While addition to her two “antennas” on her head, which look like cat ears, and beautiful blue eyes.
6. Ichigo Momomiya (Tokyo Mew Mew)
- In our list of Top 10 Anime Characters that are based on cats, at no. 6 we have Ichigo Momomiya. She is another cute-cat-anime-character-type in the show Tokyo Mew Mew.
- Her DNA even merged with an Iriomote cat and no wonder her playful charm leaves both fans and enemies bewildered.
5. Atsushi Nakajima (Bungou Stray Dogs)
Atsushi in BSD has a special power just like everyone else in the series, of transforming into a tiger, but he didn’t know about it for a long time.
Because of this, he faced many difficulties like being isolated, feeling lonely, and being expelled from an abusive orphanage. Nonetheless, he is a dapper cat figurine brought to life, as the epitome of style and charm.
4. Himari Noihara (Omamori Himari)
Noihara is a cat spirit who vowed to protect the male protagonist, Yuuto Amakawa, from the enemy Ayakashi when he turns sixteen. This promise goes back to her predecessor, whose life was saved by one of Yuuto’s ancestors.
Her fiery attitude and innate ability to charm even the toughest spirit make her a truly Nyan-tastic character.
3. Kenma Kozume (Haikyu!!)
One of our wildest yet most accurate anime characters based on a cat is Kenma Kozume while adding the part that he is a member of Nekoma High. His appearance to his personality traits and his design and behaviour do align with feline attributes.
All his playful moments and cat-like features contribute to the impression that he is definitely an anime character inspired by a cat, if not, a wild tiger.
2. Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara!)
In Shugo Chara!, there are two cat boys named Ikuto and Yoru. They are connected because Yoru represents Ikuto’s wish to be free like a stray cat.
- With Yoru’s help, Ikuto can transform into a cat boy although they both enjoy teasing others, their personalities are somewhat different. Ikuto has a mysterious aura and is usually quiet and indifferent.
- Yoru loves to wander around and have fun, often saying “nya”! With Ikuto as the ideal bad boy and Yoru’s charming traits, they make the perfect cat-boy duo.
1. Kyo Sohma (Fruits Basket)
- In our list of Top 10 Anime Characters that are based on cats, at no. 1 we have Kyo Sohma. He is the Zodiac cat in Fruits Basket. When someone of the opposite sex hugs him, he transforms into an orange tabby cat.
- This happens because of the family curse, which affects all the members of the Sohma family, including Kyo.
Being a cat boy, Kyo has many cat-like behaviours as he loves the taste of milk and fish, gets easily startled, enjoys being in high places, and dislikes being held tightly.
That was our list of Top 10 Anime Characters that are based on cats. What do you think about it? Do you have any characters you want to add? Let us know in the comments down below.