Lupin the Third is one of the most pivotal parts of the anime history. Beyond its contribution and cultural significance, Lupin is extremely exciting and fun to watch. Both the anime and the manga are divided into several parts, making the watch order or the read order overwhelming to follow.
Lupin the Third anime takes it a step further with numerous movies, OVAs, and TV specials. The curiosity surrounding Lupin can easily be killed by a single glance at the sheer number of titles in the series. Well not anymore, as we’ve put together a complete guide that explains the watch order of Lupin the Third anime.
Lupin the Third anime complete watch order
With a few exceptions, most anime are good to watch according to the release order. Lupin is no different. One can easily watch the entire series, including the OVAs and the movies by following the release order. Here’s the watch order of Lupin the Third anime according to the release dates. The list also mentions which ones are the OVAs and the movies.
- Lupin the Third Part 1 (1971)
- Lupin the Third Part 2 (1977)
- Lupin vs the Clone or the Mystery of Mamo movie (1978)
- The Castle of Cagliostro movie (1979)
- Lupin the Third Part III (1984)
- The Legend of the Gold of Babylon movie (July 1985)
- The plot of the Fuma Clan OVA (December 1987)
- Bye-Bye Liberty-Close Call TV special (1989)
- Mystery of the Hemingway Papers TV special (1990)
- Steal Napoleon’s Dictionary TV special (1991)
- From Russia with Love TV special (1992)
- Orders to Assassinate Lupin TV special (1993)
- Burn, Zantetsuken! TV special (1994)
- Farewell to Nostradamus Movie (1995)
- Pursue Harimao’s Treasure TV special (1995)
- Dead or Alive Movie(1996)
- The Secret of Twilight Gemini TV special (August 1996)
- Walther P38 TV special (1997)
- Tokyo Crisis TV special(1998)
- Da Capo of Love: Fujiko’s Unlucky Days TV special (July, 1999)
- $1 Money Wars TV special (2000)
- Alcatraz Connection TV special (2001)
- Return of the Magician OVA (2002)
- Episode 0: First Contact TV special (2002)
- Operation Return the Treasure TV special (2003)
- Stolen Lupin TV special (2004)
- Angel Tactics TV special (2005)
- Seven Days Rhapsody TV special (2006)
- Elusiveness of the Fog TV special (2007)
- Sweet Lost Night TV special (2008)
- Green vs. Red OVA (2008)
- Lupin III vs. Detective Conan Crossover (2009)
- The Last Job TV special (2010)
- Blood Seal: Eternal Mermaid TV special (2011)
- Record of Observations of the East – Another Page TV special (2012)
- Princess of the Breeze TV special (2013)
- Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie (2013)
- The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (2012)
- Lupin Family line-up OVA (2012)
- Daisuke Jigen’s Gravestone OVA (2014)
- Lupin the Third Part 4 (2015)
- Italian Game TV special (2016)
- The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa (2017)
- Lupin the Third Part 5 (2018)
- Goodbye Partner TV special (2019)
- Fujiko Mine’s Life OVA (2019)
- Prison of the Past TV special (2019)
- The First Movie (2019)
- Lupin the Third Part 6 (2021)
- Lupin Zero ONA (2022)
- Lupin the Third vs. Cat’s Eye (2023)
A watch order as per the release dates is ideal if you’re planning to watch the entire series. Lupin the Third is quite lengthy and the earlier parts are a little outdated as well. In that case, here’s the recommended watch order of the series. Before we move on to the recommended watch order, there’s something else that is highly recommended. Your potential bi-weekly source of enjoyment, the Spiel Anime Newsletter!
Recommended Watch Order
Given its episodic nature, you can start the series at any point with the different parts or the movies. Although there are some good starting points.
- If you’re someone who doesn’t mind the old anime of the 70s you should start with the original anime, the first part of the Lupin the Third anime series.
- Throughout all these years, Lupin has undergone a lot of apparent changes in terms of animation. If you want to start with modern animation, Part IV is a good starting point. Watching the previous parts will give you a better experience. But part IV is just as good as anywhere else to start watching Lupin.
- The Woman called Fujiko Mine is also a great place to start. It’s just 13 episodes long and one of the highest-ranked parts in the Lupin Series.
With this complete guide, you’re now well-equipped to start with Lupin. On to the adventures of the gentleman thief, Lupin the Third!