Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective is an upcoming detective mystery and drama that is set to release on October 2, 2023. It instantly rose to popularity due to its uncanny similarities with Moriarty the Patriot, as both of the detective anime series attempt to uncover mysteries in the face of an existential and structural threat from society.
However, in this article, we will try to understand if Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective has a shot at actually being better than Moriarty the Patriot.
Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective plot synopsis
Rom Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective follows the life of the titular character and his partner Totomaru Isshiki. Isshiki wants to solve murders and help people, despite his lack of skills for his role assigned at the Metropolitan Police Department Investigative Team. He knows the history of Ron as an illustrious detective but also tries to reconnect with this mysterious identity after he dives into the unknown and obscure.
- Totomaru encounters an eccentric and uninhibited individual, and the latter even refuses to hear him out. But, as soon as Ron gets back to his senses, he quickly dives into a serial murder case.
- Ron is said to have exited the detective world due to some structural problems and the story, apart from its usual storytelling of case-solving detectives, tries to unravel these flaws of the system and root them out from within.
Moriarty the Patriot basic plot synopsis
Moriarty the Patriot follows the life of Willaim James Moriarty who is an adopted brother of Albert Moriarty. He aims to destroy the class system and its structural oppression from within in 19th century British Empire. He enacts elaborate schemes to hunt down nobles and vows to destroy the class system which has plagued the lives of the commoners for centuries.
William Moriarty meets Sherlock Holmes and frames the latter for murder. This follows a battle of wits between the two greatest minds the world has ever seen. William, despite being the antagonist, pursues and envisions a better world, while Sherlock tries to figure out why the former would engage him in this lock of affairs of murder. This is a classic tale of the cat-and-mouse chase between the world’s greatest detective and the Lord of Crime, from the perspective of the latter.
Can Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective be better than Moriarty the Patriot?
Ron Kamonohashi explores the themes that are classically related to detective drama and mystery. It is more fanciful and the main character is portrayed as an eccentric.
- It explores the psychological more than the social and through it also manages to question the socio-political structures.
- Moriarty the Patriot on the other hand is more serious and political.
- It directly involves itself with the class system and therefore stands as a testament of a social interrogation of the oppressive nobility.
Both of the detective mystery shows explore different themes. But, one might expect that Ron Kamonohashi holds the capability to even surpass Moriarty, as the former explores the individual and the society in a complementary manner, while the latter limits itself to just the social constructs at play.
We can expect that if Ron Kamonohashi delivers a stellar performance in its exploration of the odds of the detective world, it might be able to fill in the gaps that Moriarty left in the process of storytelling.
Ron Kamonohashi holds the potential to explore the ideological indifferences in society through its eccentric protagonist. Moreover, it can also act as a suitable comedy and a detective mystery which holds the potential to restore the human aspect in the story. While Moriarty departs from the human, Ron Kamonohashi might just be indifferent in this angle.