Alice in Borderland was so famous and had a cult following when it was released in 2020 because of its unique and exciting take on the survival game and sci-fi genre. The show combined elements of action, suspense, and mystery, and it featured a cast of characters that quickly became fan favorites. The show also had a dark and gritty visual style that created a sense of unease and suspense for the watchers.
Squid Game took the world by storm when it was released in September 2021. The show quickly became the most-watched Netflix original series of all time, and it was praised for its suspenseful plot, run-of-the-mill characters, and deeply troubling themes. The show’s popularity can be attributed to its unique premise, its global appeal, and its timely message about the dark side of capitalism. If anything Squid Games feels like it could be another challenge for the characters in Alice in Borderland.
Similarities between Alice in Borderland and Squid Game
Honestly, both the series are for people who have thick skin and an elastic heart because it gets intense at times, more than you’d think. Here are some similarities between the two of them-
- Premise: In both shows, a group of people are forced to play deadly games in order to survive. In Alice in Borderland, the characters are transported to a parallel world where they are forced to play deadly games. In Squid Game, the characters are recruited to play games for a large sum of money, but they are not told that the games are deadly.
- Staging: Both shows are set in a closed environment, where the players are isolated from the outside world. In Alice in Borderland, the characters are trapped in a parallel world that is a replica of Tokyo. In Squid Game, the games are held in an undisclosed location that is hidden from the outside world.
- Characters: The characters in both shows are flawed and make mistakes. In Alice in Borderland, the characters are often struggling with their lives and making decisions that are not in their best interests. In Squid Game, the characters are also struggling with their lives and are willing to do whatever it takes to survive.
- Games: The games in both shows are deadly and require the players to use their skills and cunning to survive. In Alice in Borderland, the games are often based on classic children’s games, but they have been twisted and made deadly. In Squid Game, the games are more straightforward and involve physical challenges, but they are still deadly.
- Themes: Both shows explore themes of survival, hope, and human nature. In Alice in Borderland, the characters are forced to confront their own mortality and make difficult choices in order to survive. The show also explores the power of hope and the importance of never giving up. In Squid Game, the games are a metaphor for the unfair and exploitative nature of capitalism. The show asks questions about the value of human life and the lengths that people will go to in order to survive.
Alice in Borderland and Squid Game are two very similar shows in their own right that fall in the same genre. They both explore the dark side of human nature and the lengths that people will go to in order to survive.
Luckily for us, they are what made the years of lockdown in 2020,2021, and 2022 entertaining and crashed the meme sources in a way never seen before. If you still haven’t watched these two masterpieces (which is rare to hear of), watch them on Netflix as if your life depended on it, because theirs certainly did.