The world of anime is filled with characters who lost everything. These characters experience profound losses and their tragedies shape the narrative in a very unifying manner. Moreover, these characters also give shape to the protagonist in some form or another, making their contribution to the story a notable and unforgettable one. The anime characters who lost everything are the ones with which the fans connect the most. In this article, we will look at the top 5 anime characters who lost everything.
Top 5 anime characters who lost everything
5. Konan in Naruto
Konan is one of the most iconic characters of Naruto and her tragedy as a war orphan remains timelessly integral to the narrative. She, along with Yahiko and Nagato, struggled throughout their childhood to survive in a world ravaged by conflict and war. However, tragedy struck the three friends and the death of Yahiko pushed Nagato into the darkness.
Konan, in her search for peace and redemption, became Nagato’s follower in his destructive and reformative vision, which also led to her integral role in the Akatsuki. Konan has forever remained a close and loyal ally of Nagato, but her tragedies pushed her into a state of sadness and despair and she eventually lost the purpose of her life that she was desperately searching for throughout her life.
4. Ken Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul
Ken Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul is the main protagonist who experiences profound loss in his life. His encounter with a ghoul results in him turning into a half-ghoul, and this further results in him losing his entire identity and a sense of belonging. He is a protagonist who is trapped between two worlds and loses all friendships and relationships to his fateful tragedy.
- Kaneki constantly battles against his loss of identity and is trapped in a constant fight for survival.
- He is a character who interrogates society through his humanity and at the same time tries to find his innocence in the relentless tug of war.
- Kaneki loses everything to his fate and enters a world that is dictated by darkness and dangers, constantly trying to target his life and existence even further than he has already experienced.
3. Eren Yeager in Attack on Titan
Eren Yeager is the main character in Attack on Titan who is known for his tragic journey which was fueled by a desire for revenge and hatred. He witnessed and experienced the death of his family, friends, and everyone close to him, and even went on to witness the death of his mother in front of his eyes. This made him cold, revengeful, and determined to wipe the Titans from the the face of the earth.
- However, Eren eventually turns into the main antagonist of AoT as he uncovers the deeper mysteries and conflicts of humankind and also the true nature of humanity.
- He is disgusted and shocked at the horrifying turn of events and ultimately decides to wage war against humanity, only to carve a world grounded on the ideals of peace for his friends.
2. Guts in Berserk
Guts is the main character in Berserk who has been through the most tragic sets of losses throughout his life. Being born from the corpse of his dead hanging mother, he endured abuse from his adoptive father leading him to flee from the shackles of pain. He joined the Band of Hawk and found his best friend Griffith. But tragedy soon struck him again as his comrades were betrayed and ruthlessly killed.
- He lost not only his best friend but his friends whom he considered family and his beloved as well.
- He embarked on a quest for vengeance and soon found himself trapped in a never-ending cycle of pain and darkness.
- Guts also lost his eye and also had to bear the infamous Brand of Sacrifice.
Guts remains one of the top 5 anime characters who lost everything due to his indomitable spirit amidst profound darkness and his unwavering determination amidst hopelessness.
1. Itachi Uchiha in Naruto
Itachi Uchiha in Naruto is the most iconic character of the series, who is known for being a shadow most of the time and is despised by his brother. He had to sacrifice and slaughter his clan, including his family and his lover, to save his village Konoha.
- He was hated and labeled as a criminal, and his brother Sasuke vowed revenge upon him.
- Itachi, during his battle against Sasuke, released his brother from the curse of Orochimaru even on the brink of death.
Itachi Uchiha joined the Akatsuki as a spy and even went on murdering and killing innocents to infiltrate the organization from the inside. Moreover, he eventually lost his brother and his life to circumstances, leading to his tragic fall as the hero. Nonetheless, Itachi remained one of the most integral parts of the narrative of Naruto and he remains a legend who was tragically misunderstood.
The list of top 5 anime characters who lost everything interrogates some of the most dynamic characters. These characters lost love and respect but went on to perform their duty to society. Their unwavering dedication to their loved ones went unnoticed and unacknowledged, which remains the most tragic part of the entire argument.